Friday, November 12, 2010

A tribute to my Uncle Jake

My uncle was killed about 8 months ago in Afghanistan and it was one of the hardest things that My family and I have experienced.  They say that it is good to talk about these sort of things every once in a while to get it out of your system but i don't want to lose it in front of someone so i am blogging it. 

My uncle was an awesome guy. He had such a fun personality and hilarious sense of humor!  He was very protective of me and wanted to make sure any guy I dated knew that he was a Ranger and could run 5 miles in 33 minutes and was a teacher of the mixed martial arts. He loved his girlfriend, Megan and his daughter, Aryanna very much.  He loved all of his family and his country too. 

It was Friday! But not just any Friday. This Friday was special because it was the start of spring break! and the start of an amazing week of partying, hitting up the spa up north, and sleeping in and not doing anything productive. My girls and I were cruising down mill after a concert we had just got done at and I was having a blast jamming to music that was so loud i couldn't hear myself think. 
That night we were all going to crash at one friends house and then start all over the next day. My parents knew how stressful midterms were and how crazy life had been and knew that i needed something to unwind and let myself have fun again, so i thought it was odd that i got a call from my mom and was told very coldly to get home as soon as possible. I was confused to say the least. I had absolutely no idea what the problem could be. 
I got home and my mom was just sitting on the couch looking very worried. 
My dad was in the dining room on the phone and I wasn't allowed in there for some reason. I kept asking what was wrong but she told me i needed to wait for my dad.... he eventually got off the phone and i saw him walk around the corner into our family room... he was crying... I asked what was wrong but he couldn't find the stability to say more than three words "You're uncle Jake..." before he lost it again.
I knew that Jake had been overseas fighting and I knew that instant exactly what had happened.... I jumped up and threw my arms around my dad's neck. we sat on the couch and just held each other and cried... he then told me exactly how it happened through tears. It was like someone had just plunged a knife into my heart. After a little while i called my friends again and had them come pick me up and get my mind off of things. 
The next day, we put a permanent flag pole with the American Flag and the Army flag up. We had military service men coming from all over to have meetings with us and discuss what would happen. that Wed we were scheduled to go to Luke Air Force Base to receive his body. I was one of the few that was allowed on the actual terf while everyone else was held on the sides of the base. The moment that the plane door opened and we all caught glimpse of the coffin we all lost it. we were sobbing. I held my dad close and we watched as they unloaded it. behind us the entire base was at attention. It was such an overwhelming feeling. At that point it felt like the knife had been removed from my heart and peroxide was being poured over it. it stung.

There was so much news coverage on us that week. interview after interview. our phone was ringing off the hook.  
There were hundreds of people at the funeral. Many people spoke.

The reality of it hits me every now and then and even though i didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with him I still loved him. I enjoyed the times that i did get to spend with him and I respect him so much for what he did. 
I miss you Jake. you are forever in my heart. 

2 comments:

  1. It's such a tough thing to deal with. I sat here and just couldn't get through reading this with dry eyes. Jake was an outstanding man. I remember being at Disneyland and as I was in line for the Pirates of Caribbean ride, my sister called me to tell me the news. In front of everyone I just broke down and couldn't stop crying. I got on the ride and just had my head down and cried the entire time. Ande & my niece were just quiet and also in shock. I left Disneyland early and just cried all night at the hotel. For the past 25 years, Jake has been like a brother to my family, but I know that what we have gone through with his loss isn't even remotely close to what your family is going through. Desi, please know that you are loved... sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete